Dutch Baby Pancake
Dutch Baby Pancake
The Dutch Baby Recipe from Mr. Alton Brown. Excellent Dutch Baby!
Servings 2 People
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
2 1/2 ounces / 72 grams all-purpose flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup whole milk (at room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar (for serving)
Lemon wedges (for serving)
- *See Notes for "expedient" directions.
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 10-inch cast iron pan and heat the pan in the oven for 10 minutes. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and set aside to cool slightly.
Pulse together the flour, sugar and salt in a blender of food processor. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and melted butter, and blend the batter until smooth and frothy, 30 to 45 seconds.
Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and immediately pour the batter into the center. Bake for 20 minutes, do not open the oven while baking. The Dutch baby will puff up in the center and the edges will be dark and crispy.
Serve warm with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and lemon wedges for squeezing.
The instructions and ingredient prep here are exactly those of Mr. Alton Brown. However, from my personal experience making this recipe I’ve found that a couple of steps can be altered to speed the process slightly with no ill effects on the outcome. The most expedient way to get from zero to pancake is:
- Put the skillet in the oven while it’s preheating so it’s hot as soon as the oven is.
- While that’s preheating put all of the ingredients in a blender, liquids first.
- No need to let the eggs or milk hit room temperature, but you do need to melt the 2tbps. butter.
- Long pulses until combined, then let blend for 10 seconds or so to aerate.
- Let batter sit until oven is preheated.
- Once preheated, remove pan and drop in remaining 1 Tbsp (unmelted) butter and turn on blender again.
- Swirl butter around the pan, coating the sides as well, until melted.
- Pour in batter and return to oven.
- Set timer for 25 and don’t open the oven door!