Spicy and delicious Indonesian peanut dressing for salads.
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 60 ml warm water
- 250 g raw peanuts dry roasted skins removed
- 2 red finger-length chilies
- 2 cm galangal root
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 90 g palm sugar can sub brown sugar
- 500 ml hot water
- Soak tamarind pulp in the warm water for 5 minutes, then mash well, squeeze and strain to obtain tamarind juice.
- Grind the peanuts coarsely in a food processor, then remove and set aside.
- Grind the chilies, galangal, garlic, kaffir lime leaves, tamarind juice, salt and palm sugar in a spice grinder or blender to form a smooth paste.
- Add the ground peanuts to the spice paste and pulse a few times.
- Add hot water until it turns into a thick sauce.
This goes with an Indonesian dish called gado-gado, which is basically a vegetable salad.