This recipe is the closest one I've found to the type of Schwarma I ate in Qatar and Jordan. It's excellent with the home-made flatbreads as well (linked in Notes, along with original author link).
Servings 4 wraps
- 2 lb Chicken thigh fillets skinless and boneless
- 1 large garlic clove minced (or 2 small cloves)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 flatbreads Lebanese or pita bread or homemade soft flatbread
- Sliced lettuce cos or iceberg
- Tomato slices
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag (or bowl).
- Add the chicken and use your hands to make sure each piece is coated.
- Marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Combine the Yoghurt Sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and put in the fridge until required (it will last for 3 days in the fridge).
- Heat grill/BBQ (or large heavy based pan on stove) on medium high. You should not need to oil it because the marinade has oil in it and also thigh fillets have fat. But if you are worried then oil your hotplate/grill. (See notes for baking)
- Place chicken on the grill and cook the first side for 4 to 5 minutes until nicely charred, then turn and cook the other side for 3 to 4 minutes (the 2nd side takes less time).
- Remove chicken from the grill and cover loosely with foil. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice chicken and pile onto platter alongside flatbreads, Salad and the Yoghurt Sauce.
- To make a wrap, get a piece of flatbread and smear with Yoghurt Sauce. Top with a bit of lettuce and tomato and Chicken Shawarma. Roll up and enjoy!
Flatbread for Schwarma: http://fullsaucefood.com/index.php/2020/07/31/easy-flatbreads/ Original Recipe Link at Recipe Tin Eats – https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-sharwama-middle-eastern/